Monday, September 6, 2010

Fishes & loaves

Matthew 14:13-21

God is so good. All the time.

Today we had a packed house. Kris and I wondered how we were going to get everyone to fit in our 1400 sq ft house. The last time we had a gathering at our home, we had 12 adults, 1 kid, and the twins and thought there was "just enough room" for everyone to fit comfortably. Today the plan was for 20 adults, 4 kids, and the twins. We barely had enough seats for everyone. We had one less adult and one less kid show up and had "just enough room" for everyone and more than enough food (with leftovers to take home for everyone and at least one container of food for us. probably about 5 containers total) It didn't look or feel too crowded. It was just enough and an awesome gathering. Everyone had a GREAT time and it started at 11am and ended right at 2pm just as we had planned with a few (my parents and cousin) chatting until 3pm. We got a lot of great compliments from everyone. Even though we stressed and worked until the last minute to get things cleaned and organized for the guests, it all worked out perfectly and without a hitch. I am always so amazed by the turnout (guests and overall)

The gathering was for not just his family or just my family but for a mix of both our families. Having just recently been married, our families have not had a chance to really get together. Today was such a nice mix and everyone got along just great. Everyone was talking, laughing, and sharing. The kids enjoyed each other and played well together. Considering the rocky road Kris and I experienced early in our relationship, this is a very pleasant surprise. My Mom has always been concerned about the blending our our two families if we should ever get married or if we continue to stay together. Our families have blended so well that my in-laws enjoy my parent's company as much as they do ours (my husband and myself) This has been a welcomed change since our first meeting that I dare to think that that the hearts of all have changed since the beginning of our relationship.

I have been making an extra effort to eliminate the words luck and coincidence from my vocabulary. I am starting to believe that nothing happens by luck or by coincidence. Luck is not luck but a blessing and gift from God. Coincidence is not coincidence but a God-incidence. I know that sometimes I say "I just can't do this alone" but really what I am saying is "Lord, I can't do this alone. So I will do what I can and You do the rest."

Our God is so good that even when we think we are lacking or inadequate, He makes everything perfect according to His plan. It is so true that God does not call the qualified but qualifies the called.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Eileen! God Bless you...we miss you. Im glad that everything is coming along well. Take care always.

    ReplyDelete