Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Make new friends but keep the old

Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.
New-made friendships, like new wine,
Age will mellow and refine.

Friendships that have stood the test -
Time and change - are surely best;
Brow may wrinkle, hair grow gray,
Friendship never knows decay.

For 'mid old friends, tried and true,
Once more we our youth renew.
But old friends, alas! may die,
New friends must their place supply.

Cherish friendship in your breast -
New is good, but old is best;
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold. 


Poet: Joseph Parry

We have not had the chance to make new friends or catch up with old friends since we have been married. Since we had to make changes to our vacation plans, we were able to work in a day trip to Naples just to catch up with old friends.

Catching up with The Mastersons

The first set of old friends we were able to catch up with were David and Taryn Masterson. David also met Taryn through the Collier Catholic Singles group where Kris and I first met. When they were married in July 2005, David passed on the leadership of the group to me. They have 3 kids - Ryan, age 4, Brandon, age 3, and Mary Kate, age 9 months.

We had not seen them since May 29, 2009, the day we were engaged. They have been very influential throughout the course of our relationship. Both David and Taryn have been supportive and encouraging throughout our entire relationship. It was Taryn who kept at us both throughout our friendship. She was always there as our friend no matter where we were in our friendship. At any point if I told her that we were just friends, she would simply say "Okay but are you sure?" My reply was always the same, "Yes, we are sure. It will never work out." We went back and forth for several years and each time Taryn just nodded and said okay. All the while, she kept poking and prodding. Through the years, it was hard to ignore such poking and prodding. David jumped on the bandwagon after they were married and both them continued to support both us no matter where we were at in our relationship. They both were hopeful that God had a greater plan for us and they continued to pray. Taryn was one of the first persons I called when Kris and I resumed our on again/off again relationship. I told her we were certain that this time there would be no going back. As our re-new-ed relationship began to progress, I called them (I usually called to speak with Taryn but she was always busy with one of their 3 kids so I normally spoke with David) to update them on how fast we were progressing this time around. They both knew that this was going to happen many years before we knew it ourselves.

We are so grateful for their friendship and glad to have such a couple in our lives as a great example of true love, marriage, and devotion. We were glad to finally have caught up with them on our visit to Naples.

 David and Taryn and their 3 kids (Ryan, age 4, Mary Kate, age 9 months, and Brandon, age 3)
David and Taryn with Mary Kate and Brandon

Lunch with Ronald and a visit with the Josephs

After our meeting with The Mastersons we were able to have lunch with a our very dear friend Ronald. We met Ronald when he joined Collier Catholic Singles back in 2004. We became instant friends. I saw something very special in him and took him under my wing as a little brother. Despite his Trinidadian background, I knew that Ronald was my "brother" and we have remained close ever since.

We enjoyed a nice lunch buffet at Cici's Pizza. I enjoy going to Cici's with Ronald because you can get a nice inexpensive meal and the company is GREAT, too. I have watched Ronald grow and change through the years and it is always nice to be able to catch up with him. 

After lunch we were able to visit and spend a little time with Ronald's Mom and Dad (Jennifer and Ron). They both have recently been very influential in our relationship. They are both readily available for any kind of advice I need whether it is about faith or marriage. They have a lot to share on both. They are an incredible inspiration to both of us in our new marriage. I chose them to be one of our wedding sponsors and Jennifer just took it to a whole new level. She stayed in the bride's room and helped me get ready for the wedding and she even took charge of my camera during the entire wedding and reception. I had it with me but I was not sure how I was going to capture memories of the big day on my own. It was a hectic day from the start. As we were getting ready, she knew that I would not have a chance to take pictures so she took charge. Thanks to her I have pictures of our big day that even the photographer did not capture.

Jennifer and the bride before the wedding
Ron and Jennifer with the bride and groom
The Joseph Family (Jennifer, Ronald, Sr, Nadiya, and Ronald, Jr)

Meeting baby Michael Alberto for the first time and Jose and Lindsay Kukurelo (The other Mr & Mrs. K)

The last couple we were able to catch up with were Lindsay and Jose. Lindsay and Jose met on a blind date through Jose's friend Terri. Terri and Lindsay became friends through the Collier Catholic Singles group. I have had the privilege of not only watching but being a part of their growing relationship. Lindsay asked me to be her Confirmation sponsor during Easter Vigil in 2008 before they were married. They were married on October 11, 2008, and I was there to help with all the preparations leading up to the big day. I also read the first reading at their wedding (Genesis 2: 18-23) They recently had their first baby, Michael Alberto born on July 28.

I was not able to visit them on my last visit to Naples in July. Lindsay and Jose were in the hospital that evening preparing for the birth of their new bundle of joy, Michael Alberto. I was trying to make arrangements to meet up with them but Michael had an agenda of his own and was not to be interrupted. It had been more than a month since his birth and I was just eager to meet the newest member of the Kukurelo family.

We had an incredible visit with them. I even had a chance to hold him despite my tired and sore shoulder. I certainly was not going to leave there without holding him even if it was for just a moment. We spent much time cooing with him and making faces. I was not sure when I would get my chance to hold him. After a little bit of fussing, I finally got my chance to hold him. I was so warm. He was so small. It was very different after having held both the twins who are bigger than average 7 month olds. After some time in my arms, little baby Michael fell asleep and he even had a smile on his face. Holding him was like having a piece of heaven in my arms.

Jose, Lindsay, Me, and baby Michael (minus Kris)
Lindsay, Me, Kris, and baby Michael (Sorry Jose!)
Baby Michael and Titi Eileen
A very happy baby Michael

We were so glad to have caught up with all our old friends in Naples. There are still a few people that we are hoping to catch up with but this visit was definitely worth a trip south on I-75. It is one I hope we can do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment