Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lessons through Cooking: Baking with my Mother-in-law

One can tell that my father-in-law really enjoys cooking. We make it a ritual to buy him a new dressing, spice, or something he can use in his kitchen whenever we go on vacations. He loves to find recipes that are easy to make and modify it according to what he or his guests prefer. Mom and Dad often invite us over for dinner. Dad especially enjoys cooking for others. He takes his time and extra care even though each meal is simple. I always enjoy the meals he prepares for us. I always appreciate the simplicity of each meal and enjoy every bite. He knows how to make the simple comfort meal look like more than what it is. 

When I cook in our home for Kris, I try to make similar meals. I want to be done in the kitchen so we can enjoy our meal together yet I still take extra care to add the things that Kris really enjoys. I make my own modifications and add other ingredients to make the meal more complete. Kris never has been into fancy food so I stick to comfort foods with a special twist. 

I am not much of a baker. I can follow a boxed mix pretty well but I rarely try to bake from scratch. When I do, it does not come out like the picture shown in the recipe. Before we left on vacation, I learned my mother-in-law has always been quite the baker although she has not had much of a chance to do much baking. I was happy to hear this as perhaps I could learn a trick or two and perhaps some recipes that Kris might have enjoyed as a child.

The chance to learn something came much sooner than I expected. My mother-in-law had asked me to come over and help her bake a few things since I was going to be in town. Kris was going to be up in Pasco County, and I would be spending some time with my in-laws by myself. I had not had a chance to spend time with them alone since we were married. I had spent time with them before we were married but it was not more than an hour or so and I never had the chance to spend time with just my mother-in-law. I did not know what to expect but I was excited to learn a new recipe or two that I could try at home.

We started off by making a simple 5-minute diet key lime pie. She had never made it before but wanted to try it to see if she could maybe make it for Thanksgiving. It was made from sugar free lime gelatin, fat free key lime pie yogurt, and light whipped topping. It was simple and easy with no baking. It did not look like a real key lime pie but it tasted like one. It was more like a key lime flavored Jell-O pie.

The next thing we made was simple three-minute fudge (Super-Easy Chocolate Fudge except we used 12oz milk chocolate chips and 6oz semi-sweet chocolate chips) They were so rich that you could eat only one at a time. We poured them into rubber molds to make different shapes. We had hearts, shells, flowers, and butterflies. The molds were actually butter molds but Mom used them for fudge. Since the molds were deeper, the hearts and shells came out easier than the butterflies and flowers. I am sure that whoever eats them will not be looking at how pretty (or not so pretty) each shape turned out.

The last thing we made was a plum wine bundt cake. I had never made a bundt cake before much less a liquor or wine flavored cake. The recipe we used was for a whiskey cake that she had cut out from an old newspaper many years ago. As an expert baker, she had made some modifications to the recipe and I followed her lead. I was happy to see that the recipe called for a box pound cake mix as our base ingredient. It helped keep the recipe simple and easy to repeat when I got home. We both made our own bundt cake and I just followed the recipe just as she was doing. She had made the recipe before with whiskey but not with a plum wine. It was something new for both of us although she had much more baking experience than I did.

Whiskey cake recipe

(The recipe originally called for 2 boxes and was made in a 9-10 inch spring foam pan and served 15 to 20 people. We only used one box each and used a bundt pan instead)

1 box pound cake mix
Eggs – as many as box recipe calls for
Butter (we left this out but you will need as much as the box recipe calls for)
Bourbon (We used plum wine) & Heavy whipping cream (amounts will depend on how much liquid necessary for pound cake)

1. Preheat oven to temperature required for bundt cake. Lightly grease and flour bundt cake pan.
2. Prepare pound cake as per directions on the box. Use 2 parts bourbon to 1 part heavy cream in place of the liquid needed for cake. (For example, if 1 and ½ cups of milk is needed, then use 1 cup bourbon and ½ cup of cream)  -- Mom modified the recipe to one to one rather than two to one.
3. Pour batter into pan.
4. Bake according to directions on box.

Mom gave me some of the fudge we made and the heart and shell molds so that I can make fudge here at home. She also gave me the bundt cake I made. I decided to add a glaze to the bundtbundt cake.


Glazed Plum Wine Bundt Cake
The cake was so good...
...I had three slices!

Shell and heart shaped molds for fudge
Heart shaped fudge
Shell, flower, and butterfly shaped fudge

I am so glad that I got to spend this time with Mom. I look forward to spending time with Mom again and learning more new recipes that I can share with our kids someday.

Lessons learned through cooking:

1. Always grease AND flour the pan when baking. The flour will stick to the grease and help keep the cake from sticking to the pan.
2. Baking is not as intimidating or scary as I used to think.
3. Special moments shared with loves ones are to be cherished for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment