Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Financial Peace

Kris and I decided early on that we would follow Dave Ramsey's principles to help us budget and manage our finances. I was hesitant to get on board but I had no other suggestions for a plan for budgeting. For the last 8 weeks, I have been attending Financial Peace University. I have been learning new skills necessary to plan and maintain a budget.

Financial Peace University kit

Kris has been a fan of Dave for nearly ten years and has lived by his principles. He has managed his money well and made a decent financial profile. I was always impressed with his financial success but did not think I could obtain the same success. My personal financial profile was not as well put together. I had a difficult time with budgeting and making ends meet. During the last ten years, Kris encouraged me to listen and follow Dave's principles. I was not interested in any advice that he had for me. It was not because I was afraid it was not going to work but I was afraid to face my the financial mess I had made. Before we were engaged, I thought that it was my finances and lack of control over my expenses that would be the one hump that would keep us apart. I learned later that it was not my finances that would have been the deal breaker.

After realizing that my debt was not the deal breaker, I was able to finally face the elephant who was waiting there for me. The elephant was not as big as I had feared it to be. Kris helped me to get on track financially. I was starting to climb out of my hole and started winning with money. I was able to clean up a lot of the mess I had made before we were married. I felt as if I was able to enter into marriage with a lot less weight on my shoulders.

Throughout the course of our marriage, I have had an active role in the budgeting and handling of finances for our home. I never thought I would have been capable of such a task. I was so afraid I would lose control and single-handedly bring down our family's finances. I finally have financial peace. I no longer fear if I will make it to the next paycheck. There are times when we dip below my personal security but I use that fear to push me forward. I stretch every dollar and save wherever I can. Dave Ramsey's plan has given me the confidence to start winning with money.

I look forward to the day when we are finally say, "We are debt free. FREEDOM!"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your link on FPU's Facebook page. I am happy to read about others making their journey to financial peace. We are taking the class too and I am blogging about it at www.zahnzone.blogspot.com. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you both-Eileen! While we're unable to do the classes, we too, have found much freedom in cleaning up our mess, reducing debt, changing all kinds of spending, living on a clear budget, etc. and we too look forward to the day that we're debt free (mortgage included!) Let's encourage each other!

    ReplyDelete