Friday, February 11, 2011

Book of the Month: Jodi Picoult

In 2010, I started and/or finished two books by author Jodi Picoult. My Sister's Keeper I started reading sometime ago in 2009 and finally finished a few months after we were married. House Rules I picked up in the middle of summer last year and finally finished it in mid-January this year. She has since become one of my favorite authors to read. I have two other books by her on my 2011 reading list -- Change of Heart and Handle with Care. I am not sure when I will get a chance to start reading either one but I cannot wait. Her books are always been great page turners.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

Synopsis:

My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper is about a family who has a baby for the sole purpose of becoming a donor for their older daughter dying from leukemia. Anna, the younger daughter, for the past thirteen years has served as primary donor for her older sister, Kate. Anna has never challenged this role until at age thirteen when she decides to sue her parents for the rights to her body. This page turner allows the reader to witness the court case to find out Anna has the right to decide for herself to continue to be a donor for her sister Kate. The reader also sits at Kate's bedside as she continues to battle leukemia which can eventually kill her if Anna decides to stop being a donor. 


House Rules

House Rules is about a young man with Asperger's syndrome. Eighteen year old Jacob has Asperger's and a fascination for forensic science. Their family life evolves around his very strict routine. His Mom gives his brother and him a set of house rules that Jacob can never break. When his tutor is found dead, Jacob is charged with her murder. The reader sits with Jacob and each of his family through the trial. The reader even has a chance to sit next to the attorney hired to prove that Jacob did not commit murder. Is a kid with Asperger's capable of murder?
 
Review:

I love her style of writing. Each chapter is written in the perspective of a person in the story. Not only can you get into their mind through her writing but the font of the text even changes with each person. The font selected even fits their personality. Her books challenge not only your moral and ethical thinking but your personal beliefs. The book is thought provoking from the very start until the very end.

My Sister's Keeper

I started to read My Sister's Keeper right around the time that the movie version was released. My plan was not to see the movie until I had finished the book. I knew there were chances that I would be disappointed by one or both endings. I am an avid reader and most of the time find the movie an acceptable adaptation of book although I always think the book is better. While I was reading the book, I had heard from others that the ending of the book and movie were different (which I was not surprised to hear) I was even more determined to finish reading the book so that I could finally see the movie. So after nearly a year after I initially started reading the book (I had a busy year that year), I finally finished it last summer. I had already purchased the movie to watch when I finished the book and had been looking forward to finally watching it. Now that I have finished the book, I just do NOT want to see the movie. Knowing how the book ends, I can already predict how the movie ends. I am not upset by the end of the book but it certainly poses a greater challenge to your moral and ethical thinking. I am not saying that the movie is bad. I have not even seen it. But this is truly the case where the book is far better than the movie. It gives you more to think about and keeps you wondering even long after you have finished it. 

House Rules

I found House Rules at the Goodwill bookstore and was drawn to it because of my family's close connection to autism. I have a cousin, Diana, and nephew, Chas, who both have a diagnosis in autism spectrum. I even have friends who are diagnosed with autism as well. I have seen some of the same Jacob's behaviors in my own nephew. Even as the aunt of an autistic nephew, I could relate to Emma, Jacob's mother. I have seen other children make fun of Chas and I hurt for him. I hurt for Jacob and his struggles to belong throughout the book. Although throughout most of the book I knew of Jacob's innocence to the crime, I was still surprised as to the reasons behind why he did what he did. I understood but I somehow was hoping that Jacob had really overcome his limitations created by the Asperger's. As I realized that he (and other children who have autism) may never overcome these limitations, I thought of my nephew Chas and the milestones he has made in his life. He may always have limitations due to his diagnosis but he is still our Chas. He is still my hero. Someday when I grow up I want to be just like Chas.

I would highly recommend both books by Jodi Picoult. They both keep you actively thinking as you read the book and even after you are finished. Sometime has passed since I have finished both books but I still think about moral and ethical values that are challenged by each book. A good book is not only a good read but gives you something to think about and even changes how you see things. Both of these books have managed to do so. I look forward to reading other books by Jodi and sharing how they have changed my thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I love Jodi Piccoult as well, my sister gave me one of her books, The Pact. It was a page turner and and I could not put it down! I'm excited I just joined paperbackswap.com and have a new Jodi Piccoult book coming. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has definitely become one of my fave. I have 3 more of her books. I also have Songs of the Humpback Whale. I only have the two on my reading list but maybe I will read the other one as a bonus. I have a list of others I want to read, too.

    ReplyDelete