Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book of the Month: Total Money Makeover

We set a goal this year to read a book of the month. I picked 12 books in advance that I wanted to read this year. I did not assign them a month but I chose 6 books for learning and inspiration and 6 books for leisure and fun. I later decided to read the books of learning first so that I could enjoy the rest of the year. I have also picked up a bonus book to read simultaneously as the book for the month to break things up a bit. I am in no rush to finish the bonus books before the end of the month. I hope to read 18 books total this year including bonus books. After finishing a book (whether it is the book for the month or a bonus book) I will write a review of the book and share my thoughts and what I learned from each book.

For the month of January, I chose Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I originally chose Financial Peace Revisited but later decided to read Total Money Makeover. It is a much shorter book than Financial Peace and is not as cut and dry. He includes some humor as well as personal stories from other couples who are working on their Total Money Makeover. I ended up having to read Financial Peace Revisited when Kris and I signed up to take Financial Peace University through our Church. I am glad that I got to read Total Money Makeover first to inspire us to get on track with our finances.

January book of the month: Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Financial Peace Revisited by Dave Ramsey

Summary:

Total Money Makeover is a proven plan to help you gain control of your finances. Dave uses "baby steps" in order to help you organize your money (and life) so that you can have control. I know that this plan works because scattered throughout the book are personal testimonies from couples as well as singles who have used or are currently using Dave's plan to get control of their life and their future. The stories are an inspiration to get on a plan and stay on it. One of Dave's most important keys to financial success is the need for a written budget. He shows you how to create a budget and stay on it. Dave dispels myths about debt and money in order to help the reader understand more about the process. Dave uses his humor and wit to explain his plan and move through each of the baby steps.

Review:

This book was one of the most enjoyable non-fiction books I have ever read. The wit and humor made the book a faster read. There were some nights I just could not put the book down. The personal stories were encouraging. They reminded us why we started this whole process in the first place. I am glad that I read this early on in our marriage. It has helped us get on the same page in regards to our finances and helped us start our marriage on the right foot. His reference to passages from the Bible help us to stay focused mentally and spiritually on the same plan. My favorite part of the book was his reference to my favorite Bible verse -- Jeremiah 29:11. It is not only my personal mantra but the verse in which the title of this blog is derived. Reading this as we started Financial Peace University was the extra push we needed to get and stay motivated to make a plan that works. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is experiencing financial difficulty or just wants to learn a "new" way to get financially fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment